* Make sure the puppy is older than at least
8 weeks of age. A very small or very young puppy
can easily die of shock, low blood sugar and/or
dehydration when transported over long distances.
* Most dogs tend to get car sick - don't give your
Yorkie anything to eat or drink before driving.
* Speak to your vet about calming tablets for stressed
or car sick Yorkies.
* If you are going to fly with your Yorkie, make
sure with the airline you have chosen what their
procedures are. Kulula let you keep your pet with
you on the seat in-flight, but most airlines will
keep pets in their carriers in the hold. Don't put
any water or food in the carrier - it will only
spill and make it a very messy trip for your dog.
Make sure your dog is hydrated before flight.
* Travelling internationally with your pet can
be a very time-consuming and hassling experience.
There are a few companies whose sole job it is to
arrange international pet travel. Try Petwings 0861
30 31 32 or Global Paws on 083 640 4574 / 021 761 2520.
* Every country has different regulations and laws
- please make sure that you are fully aware of all
of those before you make travel plans. Some countries
even require 2 - 6 months of quarantine for your
dog - do not assume that your puppy can come with
you on all your trips!